In most cases, puffy eyes are caused by an excess of fluids in the tissues surrounding the eye. Since the skin around the eyes is the thinnest skin on your face, any changes you make are readily noticeable with a quick visible difference.
Here is a list of factors that may cause excess fluids under your eyes giving you puffy eyes and dark circles:
- Excess of salt
- Frequent eye rubbing
- Sinus problems
- Fatigue or lack of sleep
- Unhealthy diet
- Hereditary skin characteristics
There are several ways to temporarily treat puffy eyes and dark circles at home. Here is our list of at home remedies you should know about:
- Eye drops – either an eye lubricant or one for allergies
- Increasing fluid intake to avoid dehydration
- Cold compresses
- Cucumber or potato slices
- Chilled tea bags
- Over the counter eye creams
- Decreasing salt intake
- Limiting alcohol consumption
- Consuming potassium-rich foods to cut excess fluids
- Eating foods full of omega-3 fatty acids
- Increasing the amount of sleep you get daily
- Elevating your head when sleeping
Unfortunately, some people may not have any success with these at home treatments for their puffy eyes. If your puffy eyes persist even after implementing these at home remedies, there is a medical procedure that can surgically remove them. A blepharoplasty is an eyelid surgery that removes the excess skin for better vision and physical appearance. At Florida Eye Specialists and Cataract Institute our ophthalmologists have received specialized training in cosmetic eye surgery to offer you the most expertise when considering a blepharoplasty procedure. If you suffer from puffy eyes or dark circles and would like to consult with one of our physicians to have them addressed, contact us today to schedule an appointment.
If you give our treatment ideas a try, let us know how they work for you. We would love to receive your feedback and hear your stories of what has worked for you.